MyCouncil®  |  Cart (0)  |  Join  |  Sign In
Published June 27, 2012, 12:00 AM

How you can help flood victims

UPDATE Flood-relief volunteers

Since June 22, people from across the region have been able to visit External Linkand click on a "Give Help" button if they are looking to volunteer or a "Get Help" button if they are seeking volunteer assistance.

With this information in hand, United Way of Greater Duluth and City of Duluth are partnering to establish a flood-relief volunteer program. Volunteers have already been mobilized to help clean up parks and trails, and a volunteer program to aid homeowners is in the works.

If you have requested help, we thank you for your patience and ask that you wait for ongoing updates in the following days as the damage and needs continue to be assessed.

Numerous area groups are seeking help and volunteers after last week’s flood.

By: News Tribune staff, Duluth News Tribune

Numerous area groups are seeking help and volunteers after last week’s flood.

For people looking for ways to help, here are groups accepting donations and volunteers:

  • Minnesota Ballet: The ballet is estimating that 90 percent of its sets and hand-painted drops were damaged when a storage facility flooded. Donations can be made to Minnesota Ballet, 301 W. First St. #800, Duluth, MN 55802 or online at or by calling (218) 529-3742.
  • Red Cross: The city of Duluth is directing donations to the Red Cross at or (800) 733-2767. Donors also can text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation or send checks to the Northland Chapter of the American Red Cross at 2524 Maple Grove Road, Duluth, MN 55811.
  • Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota: Collecting donations to help with flood recovery efforts in Duluth and other communities. It also has made available its Camp Noah program, which is designed to help children recover emotionally from natural disasters. Go to Link or mail contributions to Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota, SDS 12-2054, P.O. Box 86, St. Paul, MN 55486. Put “Duluth disaster response” on the memo line.
  • Carlton County: A center to coordinate volunteers and donations is operating at the Cloquet National Guard Armory. The center is open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. Contact: (218) 384-1112. Wells Fargo Bank is accepting tax-deductible donations at all of its branches nationwide to the Carlton County Flood Relief Fund.
  • Duluth Parks and Recreation: Parks and trails in the area will be relying partly on volunteers to clean up after the flooding. To help clean up Duluth city parks and trails, contact Cheryl Skafte at (218) 730-4334 or More information on the cleanup will be available on the city’s website soon.
  • Superior Hiking Trail: Volunteers will be needed to assess trail conditions and help replace bridges. To volunteer, call (218) 834-2700 or e-mail
  • Cyclists of Gitchee Gumee Shores: To help with trail work on Duluth’s mountain-biking trails, go to and check the message board for upcoming trail work dates and locations.
  • United Way of Greater Duluth: To help with recovery efforts within the city or surrounding area or assist with the rehabilitation of parks and trails, go to and click on Declaration of Emergency — City of Duluth Flood Emergency Information or go to and click on “give help.” This is a centralized volunteer registration database that will match availability with areas that need help.
  • Lake Superior Zoo: You can contribute to cleanup and rebuilding efforts on the fundraising website Go to lszoo.orgExternal Link for more details.

From the Superior United Way:

City of Superior / Douglas County Flood Assistance

Call 2-1-1 or www.unitedwayduluth.orgExternal Link to  Register for Flood Assistance or to Volunteer to provide Flood Assistance.

The following agencies are registered with the 2-1-1 system. To reach these agencies call 2-1-1 f or call direct:

  • Catholic Charities Housing Counseling-Housing Assistance 715-394-6617
  • Faith United Methodist- Cleaning Buckets  call 715-394-9608
  • Salvation Army 715-394-7001
  • St. Vincent De Paul Society- Cleaning Buckets / Housing Assistance 715-398-4039
  • YMCA- Free Shower 715-392-5611
  • Private Well Water Testing Kits- (no charge)Douglas County Health Department 715-395-1304
  • Red Cross 218-722-0071
  • Free flood debris disposal at City Landfill for all City and County Residents 715-398-7222
  • City of Superior for flood debris pickup (City Residence Only) 715-394-0244
  • To Donate contact M&I Bank –  Long Term Flood Recovery Fund 715-394-8840
  • City / County Flood Damage Reporting line 715-394-0392
  • Flood Related Health Concerns (mold, water, etc.) Douglas County Health Dept. 715-395-1304

Further information can be obtained from City of Superior Website: Link or at the Douglas County website www.douglascountywi.orgExternal Link

Copyright © 2019 Voyageurs Area Council, BSA - All rights reserved
Web Site Powered By ScoutTools®